Improving traffic safety in School Zones has unique challenges: you may need to cover a large area, and to vary the activation pattern for time of day and for school days during the year. JSF Tech’s SZ Series for School Zones is specifically designed to meet these challenges, allowing you to alert drivers to speed reductions for certain hours of the day, incorporate school zone crosswalks, and program multiple school year calendars in advance, online. You can also make instant changes to the calendar, as needed, through the online system. And because beacons are connected wirelessly (up to 0.5 miles (800 m) apart, with line of sight), the system can fit school zones of all shapes and sizes.
- Solar powered: Each unit is completely self-contained and needs no external power, eliminating electrical bills.
- Cellular connection: The SZ Series is designed to be controlled over a GPRS cell phone network, with activation schedules created with our downloadable windows application for the Beacon Scheduler. Coming soon: a web-based app.
- Direct connection: In areas without cell service, scheduling can also be done through a direct upload from a laptop via USB.
- Simple installation: Pre-assembled parts, quick-connect wiring, no power grid connection and radio activation means no trenching, minimal traffic disruption, requires only 1-3 people to install.
- High Quality: Designed, built and manufactured in Canada.
- Adaptable: Mounting available to fit all pole sizes and types, and side and overhead mounting.
- Durable: Powder-coated single aluminum enclosure, the cabinet-free design deters vandalism and enhances the streetscape.
- Reliable: Energy management system ensures operation under all environmental conditions.
- Flexible: Adjustable flash pattern and activation duration to accommodate varying traffic conditions.
- Customizable: Modular design allows easy customization, plus our in-house design and engineering team can create solutions for your unique application or functional requirement.
ABOUT SZ SERIES BEACONS
These beacons can be installed anywhere with reliable GPRS cell phone reception and places without (via direct USB connection). A preset flash schedule can be created using the JSFT Beacon App and sent to the beacons wirelessly or in person. The scheduling website can accommodate multiple years of operation, including special events for extra use and days off. Spontaneous activations and commands can also be carried out with mobile devices. Diagnostic information such as battery levels and activation counting can be accessed through the Primary beacons via cellular or direct USB connection.
Each School Zone set is made up of two beacon types. The “Primary Beacon” contains a cellular modem and stores the annual flash schedule. The “Secondary Beacons” receive daily on/off signals from the primary beacon. Any number of secondary beacons within ½ mile line-of-sight can be associated to a primary beacon. When a primary beacon receives an instant activation command or encounters a scheduled activation period, the primary beacon relays the activation command to all secondary beacons in the series.